Choosing your preferred schools
First step - narrow down your school choice options:
- Check the BBC School League TablesFinancial Times Top 1000 Schools
- Check the school websites to find out more about each school. The website will give you a feel for the school and they will usually give information about their entry requirements, application procedure and dates for open days/evenings.
- Catchment area – some schools will require you to live within a certain radius of the school. They can have different ways of calculating whether you are within the catchment area, so you should call the school and ask.
- Think about travelling to the school on a daily basis. Check transport and make sure that it is a realistic journey for your child.
- and a sixth form prospectus (check that a sixth form place will be guaranteed to pupils in the lower school).
- Book a visit to the school, preferably during school hours, so that you can see the school in operation. It is important to take your child with you on school visits.
The examination dates and content varies between schools. Both of these can change from year to year, so you will need to check school websites or telephone schools. Most schools will require your child to go to each school to sit a separate exam.
- State Grammar School examinations are usually held between September and January of the year your child enters Year 6. You will need to check exact dates with the schools. Each school usually sets their own entry examinations.
- Independent School examinations are usually held in the January of the year of entry. Independent Day Schools will require your child to go to each school to sit a separate exam. Independent Boarding Schools usually require your child to sit one Common Entrance paper per subject covering all boarding schools.
- Most independent schools conduct a formal interview as part of their selection process. We will cover interview technique and will give each child an individual practice interview in the autumn of Year 6.
Waiting Lists and Appeals
We can provide individual information and guidance on this later, if needed.